The project was initiated in June 2012 for a year till 2013 and the amount sanctioned by JRDTT was Rs.40 lakh.
Goal of the project: To promote 635 sustainable rural livelihoods affected by the 2011 Odisha floods, through sub sectors like Goatery, Bamboo Work, Vermicomposting, Organic Farming, Rickshaw / trolley etc
Progress so far :
- Baseline Survey of 635 households done to assess the loss caused due to flood. Of the total beneficiaries 500 of them will be supported under sustainable agricultural program, 100 beneficiaries will be covered under goat rearing and bamboo craft programs and 35 under Rickshaw / trolley program.
- A total of 530 beneficiaries so far have been trained on organic and sustainable agriculture through 15 training programs. A working capital of `18.75 lakh (@ 5000 per beneficiary) has been disbursed for vegetable farming to 375 beneficiaries. The theoretical orientation and practical demonstration of preparing bio-fertilizers has immensely motivated the beneficiaries to prepare the same at the house hold level and its application in the field especially in vegetable farming. This would also lead to substantial reduction of costs in comparison to purchasing fertilizers and chemical hormones for improving productivity.
- 32 vermicompost pits have been constructed at the community level and the pits are being taken care of by the group members. A training program on vermi compost has been organized in Kanasa area of Puri District.
- One training program on health and hygiene of goats has been organized involving 53 beneficiaries and all selected 50 beneficiaries have been provided with working capital to the tune of Rs.2.25 lakh (per beneficiary @ 4,500) to purchase pregnant female goat / female goat with kid.
- One training program on bamboo work involving 42 beneficiaries has been organized. Total 50 beneficiaries have been provided with working capital to the tune of Rs.1.50 lakh (per head @ Rs. 3000/-)
- One training program on financial literacy has been organized for 35 rickshaw pullers. Out of which 20 rickshaw pullers have been provided with a rickshaw (10 numbers of rickshaw & 10 numbers of rickshaw trolley). Total amount utilized under the activity is Rs. 2.95 lakh. Subsequently three SHGs of rickshaw pullers being formed and 25 rickshaw pullers have been bank linked.
- A training manual in local language (i.e Oriya) developed for easy reference of community people, project staff and local trainers involved in sustainable agriculture.